Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mailbox Music: Bomb, Bomb, Bomb (not a repost)

If you take a look back at the archives - or at the Mailbox Music feature link - you'll see back in April of 2008 I had a post with this same title. Ramseur spark plugs Bombadil had contacted me and shot over a copy of their debut full-length, A Buzz, A Buzz. I immensely enjoyed the freshness and originality of the album - and band for that matter.

Well guess what? The guys from Bombadil were generous enough to contact me saying that they had a copy of their newest disc, Tarpits and Canyonlands (out on Ramseur July 7th) with my name on it. How thoughtful. Last weekend, I picked up my care package (complete with personalized note).

Tarpits starts where A Buzz left off, building upon an already strong base of inventive folk music whose influences span the dial and the globe. Not only has the Peruvian flute returned on this new album, but one song is sung entirely in Spanish - and beautifully done, by the way. They move on to pay tribute to the capital of Malaysia in a groovy tune called 'Kuala Lumpur.' This world-traveling theme is echoed in the artwork for Tarpits. The album title was taken from a short narrative written by Matthew Swanson (art by Robbi Behr) that is reproduced along the folds of the album case. Buy the album for this inspiring artwork alone and you won't be disappointed.

I've often thought that while lyrics have the ability to evolve along with the human race, melodies and structures are a non-renewable resource bound to one day run out. I still don't know if that's quite true, but if it is, Bombadil has gotten us much closer to that day. The band has used way more than their fair share of original melodies, tempo changes, and out-right 'what just happened's' on their two albums. As long as we have fresh minds like theirs behind the controls, we should be good for another couple eons.

What surprised me about Bombadil's first album was an element I looked forward to on this new one: a band that obviously shines when multiple elements are working together at a lightning pace can downshift so effortlessly and provide us with a beautifully simple love song.

Bombadil - Reasons

But as I said, you can't speak of Bombadil without mentioning the barrel of fun that is their controlled chaos.

Bombadil - Oto The Bear

Pre-order Tarpits and Canyonlands (7-7-09)

Purchase A Buzz, A Buzz
Also get their self-titled debut EP


I got quite a chuckle when I imported the disc into my iTunes as the suggested genre was set to 'unclassifiable' - I couldn't agree more. I'm never quite sure what it is I'm listening to with Bombadil, but I don't care.

~I would like to send well-wishes out to the band, Daniel in particular, who is suffering from tendinitis that has caused the band to cancel their tour until he can recover. Get well soon, then come play some shows in Texas.~

---------------
Check out Mailbox Music: Bomb, Bomb, Bomb (original)
---------------

This post will hopefully begin a resurgence of those feature posts I initiated last year; Mailbox Music being severely neglected. I don't get discs in the mail every week, but I DO get songs in my email every day. So I will make more of an effort to give these a try and share them with you.

1 comment: