Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mailbox Music: Bomb, Bomb, Bomb.....

Bombadil

"teach me your alphabet so i can break your code"

In My Mailbox Today -- A Buzz, A Buzz from North Carolina's Bombadil.
The coolest part == it doesn't come out until April 29th!

These guys contacted me about a week ago, asking if i would be interested in an advance copy of their first full-length release. Uhh, i guess i'll take a free CD.......
Bombadil has recently been signed to Ramseur Records (The Avett Brothers, The Everybodyfields) - whom, upon the aquistion of this new record, i've decided is the best emerging record label in the country. They sign unique, energetic, and super-talented acts from around their home base of NC.

i decided not to download any Bombadil tracks off The Hype, nor did i stream anything from their MySpace - i wanted to hear the album with no preconceptions at all - all i knew about 'em was the description given to me via their e-mail:

"We are proud of our folk roots, but we also like to incorporate elements of everything from bolivian folk tunes to psychedelic rock.We've been described recently as 'A long-lost Elephant 6 band who spent the last 10 years listening to mid-60s Dylan.'"

Popped the CD in on my way to school this morning, and what i heard was like a surprising, but well-needed water balloon to the face. It broke me out of the monotony that is this semester, and put me in an energized, good mood. This fearless, inventive four-piece band from Durham, NC employs a gaggle of instruments including: guitar, piano, mando, banjo, organ, xylophone, trumpet, flute, and some pretty interesting percussion. The vocals wander throughout the members of the band and are, at times, as spontaneous as the music. But somehow, through all the chaos, you come away with some pleasing indie-folk tunes. The opener is the calmest effort on the disc - a simple, but engaging little piano song:

mp3: Bombadil - Trip Out West

Bombadil's utter disregard for conventional song structure causes them to exude a certain type of confidence and bravery that seems to be a running theme in everything Ramseur puts out:

mp3: Bombadil - Rosetta Stone

Just for fun, and to feed my wandering mind, i Googled Bombadil, and found out that Tom Bombadil was a character in The Lord of the Rings (book, not movie). i am, by no means, a sci-fi fan, but apparently he was some sort of hobbit:

"Tom Bombadil is a spry fellow, with a quick, playful wit. He has a jolly, carefree attitude, and very little seems to concern him"

Whether or not the guys in Bombadil knew that, the description of Tom is equally a perfect depiction of their musical style.

mp3: Bombadil - Cavaliers Har Hur

pick up A Buzz, A Buzz on April 29th...

56 comments:

  1. I got here through HypeM and I absolutely love this group. Thanks so much for the tracks, off to look at the rest of your site. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to listen this music..
    Thanks for share this nice and informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beauty of the topic kept me reading till it ended. It happens only for a few times in a month that i read everything in an article. I admire your vision and the effort to explain foreclosures. Kindly do come up with topics like stop foreclosure fraud and help foreclosure to be freezed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your site is stunning I assume you have to translate it to other languages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brendan Nichols


    Hi. Truly amazing. I will surely wait for this guys to come out into the open and conquer the industry. I really wish all of you the best. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a nice one post here. Keep it up.....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sculpture abstract


    Hello Admin. It's nice to know that a lot of new musicians are coming and forming their own bands. I wish these guys success on their career.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Payton.
    Oh well, this is one of the hardest part of being a musician... You struggle to find people that would be interested to sell your music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beauty beds

    Hi Payton. I really like starting musicians who strive so hard to be noticed. Good luck to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. boat finance


    Hey there Payton. These guys look cute and adorable. I wonder if they also have a cte and awesome voice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is outstanding! i think stem cell research is a really important science that can help a lot of people. Thank you for such a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. albany gateway

    Hello Payton. I think these guys will do well in the music industry. With hard work and dedication, I'm sure they will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Hi,
    I like your blog very much! It is found me so interesting and informative... Thanks very much for sharing this amazing information over here…"

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your blog! As Emma Stone said, A is for Awesome. You're doing great. Thanks for sharing the tracks too. I enjoyed it.
    quality website design

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there. Bombadil are the bomb indeed! These boys look handsome. I bet they will be a big hit. Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome blog! I will for sure drop by it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Payton, these guys will really make it to the top of the music industry, Awesome! Keep discovering more talents.

    ReplyDelete
  18. cheap electricity nsw


    Hey Payton. I am so fond of newly discovered talents. I'd like to see their humble beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Payton. I want to publish new songs too. Who knows I will be discovered. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great blog to visit nice and lot of interesting content to read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your wordpress theme, i frequently come back here and i dont know why.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just now read something simular to this on That Are i believe they may of stolen the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmmm Many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Overall an end user friendly site, several great points! It is a well crafted article, I’m going to make an effort to read others. With Respect
    T

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant blog posting. I begin your column actual interesting; I anticipate you are a ablaze writer. I added your blog to my bookmarks and will acknowledgment in the future...
    Mirza maqbool | furniture | Best advertising agency in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  26. "I accept been account your posts regularly. I charge to say that you are accomplishing a absurd job. Please accumulate up the abundant work."
    Office furniture catalogue | Home furniture | Office furniture

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well I was looking some legal procedure for my case testimonial about in Google so my search stopped me at your blog I really enjoyed reading it. I'm supposed to be somewhere else in a minute but I stuck to reading the story. I love Your Blog……..
    pakistani advertising companies | Best advertising agency in Pakistan | advertisement in lahore

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just love how you write. Reading your blog for me is like sitting down and having a conversation with you. You always make me smile and you have a way with words.
    Just thought I'd tell you in case you didn't know. :-
    pakistani advertisements company | advertising companies | advertising agencies in pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  29. Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog centered on the same topics you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would appreciate your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mở bán Chung Cư CT12C, bán cắt lỗ CT12A,CT12B. Hình ảnh, bảng giá chi tiết các căn hộ CT12. Tư vấn pháp lý, thủ tục nhanh gọn. CHUNG CƯ KIM VĂN KIM LŨ CT12 SƠ ĐỒ THIẾT KẾ + BẢNG GIÁ ,Hotline bán hàng 0915-348-000 <> 0984-348-000.
    CHUNG CƯ KIM VĂN KIM LŨ CT12 SƠ ĐỒ THIẾT KẾ + BẢNG GIÁ ,
    Chung cư Kim Văn Kim Lũ CT12 chính thức mở bán, giá chênh thấp nhất thị trường. Bán cắt lỗ CT12A, CT12B, chào bán CT12C. Hình ảnh, bảng giá chi tiết căn hộ tại CT12. Tư vấn tận tình, chu đáo, giải quyết mọi thắc mắc của khách hàng. CHUNG CƯ KIM VĂN KIM LŨ CT12 GIÁ CHÊNH THẤP NHẤT ,Hotline 0915-348-000 <>
    CHUNG CƯ KIM VĂN KIM LŨ CT12 GIÁ CHÊNH THẤP NHẤT ,0984-348-000

    ReplyDelete
  31. http://phanphoichungcuso1taihanoi.blogspot.com/
    http://chungcuct11kimvan-kimlu.blogspot.com/
    http://chungcu-kimvan-kimlu-ct12.blogspot.com/
    http://chungcuvp5linhdam-giare.blogspot.com/
    http://chungcu-dai-thanh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete